Sunday, August 28, 2011

A beautiful homage and fiery bodily fluids


click on screen to maximize to another window

I just watched this trailer the other day and holy shit this looks amazing. As far as I can tell it will be a black and white silent film. I probably just lost more than half of the audience by saying "black and white silent film" (Go watch Transformers 3 and Step Up 3D). It has been making waves at the Cannes Film Festival.


It is about a silent movie star, George Valentin, who wonders if the arrival of talking pictures will cause his career to die. It seems like it may borrow from the life of famous silent film star, Rudolph Valentino. Along the way he meets Peppy Miller, an up-and-coming dancer about to get her big break.


I am already really excited to see this movie. Doing a movie like this is really ballsy. I love it because it is something different and creative. It relies on core basics of what every movie should rely on; story, plot and acting. As an audience, we have lost that due to flashy eye candy...explosions, slow-mo, 3D, and over use of CGI/special effects.


Another reason to love this movie is it is a period piece. I find history and where we come from very fascinating. It it is fun to watch a time like this to be recreated in a movie. Also, who doesn't like a good love story?


Another way this trailer sold me was with the music it used. I absolutely LOVE film scores, not soundtracks that features today's "hot" artist that play in the movie. It is music written specifically for the movie that uses orchestral and instrumental pieces. I am specifically referring to the music used towards the end of the trailer. Music in movies really carry and help define the feel of the movie. Scores are really something that can go hand and hand with a movie or totally just stand on it's own as a great work of art. There are a lot of god awful movies out there with amazing scores that I love.


Every year I probably have less than a handful of movies I am excited for to come out. This is one of them. It is a beautiful homage on so many levels. I await it's release on November 23rd.




I am a huge advocate of rottentomatoes.com. I find their rating system pretty on point with how good a movie is. I'm talking about the tomatometer, not the moron audience who don't really know what they are talking about. So if you enjoyed 2007's Ghost Rider, than you probably enjoyed Daredevil. They were directed by the same guy.


Well let's flash forward to today. Ghost Rider 2 is going to be released in 2012. I'm not even surprised anymore when I see this kind of garbage. I watch the trailer and I am sitting there in silence not believing that this movie was actually made. So I try to be fair and give the movie a chance and I look up the directors to see what they have done in the past. Let's see, Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor directed Crank, Crank: High Voltage, Gamer and they wrote Jonah Hex. Holy shit, at that moment I knew what movie I would be covering next.


Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider is back. This time he is in Eastern Europe to stop the devil from taking human form. The trailer starts by using music from "The Island" score, which a TON of trailers use today. From there awesome Nicolas Cage-ness begins to ensue. Oh, Nic Cage. He is one of those actors that I love to hate to love to hate (no typo there). If you are not familiar with The Nicolas Cage Matrix, please allow me to introduce it to you.


As I was watching this trailer and taking screen shots for the blog, I noticed how bad ass they have made Ghost Rider look. That's all though. It just looks cool. Like I said above, just flashy eye candy. Also, don't forget about the clangy rock music to get your blood flowing with the bad assness that is this cool looking trash of a movie.


Johnny Blaze will continue to battle his inner demons as he takes on the dark lord himself! Let me leave you with some actual dialogue from the movie:

I'm not afraid of you...




Well you should be....




In 2012, Ghost Rider will puke and piss all over you...can't wait.