Monday, August 13, 2012

Sooo. Many. Movies.


The way I am going to break up this movie list is by watched, out now and upcoming. I’ll try to break them up throughout this week. Putting all of them into one post would just take way too much time. As a reminder, the percentages below the posters are their rotten tomatoes rating. I find rotten tomatoes critic ratings generally fairly accurate to what I like. I'm sure a lot of people could say that. Nonetheless, they will definitely sway me from seeing a movie right away, if at all. Be sure to make the trailers full screen. Let’s jump right into it… 

WATCHED:

92%
The only time I've ever really noticed Aubrey Plaza was in Scott Pilgrim vs the World. I know she is in Parks and Recreation, but I've never seen it. I hear good things. She definitely has gotten my attention with Safety Not Guaranteed. With a 92% you really can't go wrong, especially with this film. Aubrey's character can never really find her niche in life and just feels like someone no one ever really paid attention to. The film never really sticks in one genre for too long, so you don't really know what to expect. Currently this is only playing at the Landmark E-Street Cinema in D.C. A must see.



75%


One thing that always irks me is when someone says "Oh, it has subtitles? FORGET IT!" Go watch Battleship in 3D and stare at the 'splosions, moron. I was surprised how much I LOVED Intouchables. It was very, very funny and very heartwarming. Not to mention the score and soundtrack are spot on. Both François Cluzet and Omar Sy are just pure gold. I can't recall the last time two actors carried the comedy by just speaking to each other. They don't have to succumb to some off the wall scenarios that would never happen to anyone. Seriously, don't miss this one before it leaves the theaters. It's playing at the Cinema Arts Centre Theatre in Fairfax and in Bethesda, MD. Don't miss it.      




75%
Some movies are just not for everyone. Killer Joe can probably fall into that category for A LOT of people. When we were heading into the movie, the ticket custodian (I think I just made up that job title. Maybe not.) asked us if we were ready for a violent movie. Already knowing it was an NC-17 movie, it kind of added on to the excitement of not knowing what to expect. Killer Joe stars Matthew McConaughey, Emile Hirsch, Juno Temple, Thomas Haden Church and Gina Gershon. It's a pretty decent cast who all do a pretty great job. I do like me some Matthew McConaughey. He has never really been the huge A list star but he does have a handful of movies I really like him in (Dazed and Confused, A Time to Kill, U-571, Frailty, Reign of Fire, Lincoln Lawyer). This probably has to be one of his best so far. It is a very dark comedy thriller I guess you could say. Never have I laughed while someone's face was getting pummeled with a large can of pumpkin pie. That sounds wrong but you have to see it to understand what I am talking about. Definitely not your traditional movie. OH, and you'll never look at K. Fried C. and Gina Gershon the same way again. It's a pretty funny fucked up movie. If this is your cup of tea then check it out. Otherwise, move on. Killer Joe is only playing at Landmark E-Street Cinema in D.C.


Stay tuned...

OUT NOW: